An Exciting New Opportunity – St Mary’s Kerrisdale Anglican Church is delighted to offer two Choral Scholarships – TENOR and BASS – for the 2017/2018 year. These scholarship positions will join our other professional singers to serve as the core of the choir, and supplement the church’s group of twenty-plus dedicated volunteers.
Brief Church History –The members of St. Mary’s have always been part of the progressive, liberal theology of the Anglican Church, but we also enjoy the traditional settings of services mixed in with more contemporary fare. The parish welcomes all equally – young, older, single, families, LGBT persons, or otherwise. Our current congregation is a joyous mix of “cradle” Anglicans, members baptized into other denominations and faiths, and newcomers to Christ. We are a medium-large parish with a friendly congregation. We have a variety of worship styles and education programs to help people grow in their faith. We are active in outreach, have a significant amount of programming that supports the parish community life and builds relationships amongst our parish family.
Congregational Mission Statement – In Christ we are a welcoming and inclusive community that knows and shares the love of God, and serves those in need.
Scholarship Details – The scholarship offers up to $3,000 for the year, September through June, plus bonuses for extra services or rehearsals. Scholarships are held up to a year, with an annual review. Scholar stipends are paid monthly and depend on attendance. It is important that the potential scholars have relevant choral experience. Candidates should have excellent sight-reading ability and musicianship, consistent attendance and preparation, and a versatile range and vocal timbre that will blend well with the rest of the choir.
Scholarship Time Commitment – The time obligations for the scholars are as follows:
- One mid-week rehearsal on Thursday evenings, 7-9pm
- One Sunday morning service at 11:15am, with a 10:30am rehearsal call
- Participation in the great services of the church: Advent & Christmas Lessons & Carols; Christmas Eve; Ash Wednesday; Holy Week services etc.
- In addition to the Sunday services, section leaders may have the opportunity to sing funerals, weddings and other special events throughout the year.
Application Process and Requirements – Candidates do not need to have held a scholarship previously to apply, or need to have been part of an Anglican congregation. All candidates, regardless of background, are heartily encouraged to apply as we are committed to all policies of diversity and inclusion. Know that you are welcome among us.
- Application – State your interest in the scholarship program and request a scholarship application by emailing the Director of Music at email@example.com
- Audition – candidates may be auditioned within the context of a service, or separately, as seems best.
Questions? – If you have any further questions about the scholarship or the audition process, please feel free to email Brigid Coult, the Director of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Music Office at 604-261-4228 x 227.
We look forward to hearing from you and encourage your application.